In Mesa Boogie´s triple rectified world, high gain is the name of the game. There are no shortage of shredders who rely on the California based amp builder to deliver tight, bone crushing riffage.
The exception to the rule is found in the amp Iron Mike toured with for years, the Mesa Boogie F-50.
¨It doesn´t really do the high gain thing. Slightly overdriven crunch is where this thing shines. Reminds me of SRV's Bassman tone on the In Step album.¨ - Iron Mike Norton
The F-50 is a formidable piece of guitar history, being the second of only two amps to ever receive a full 5 Star Gold Award by Guitarist magazine..
According to Mesa Boogie´s product page:
¨Then there’s the banquet of pentodes all laid out in the mighty F-100™’s 4x6L6 spread: it can fill up any crowd with its thick, rib-sticking gain and fatter low end. King of the F-Series, this bad-ass tube buffet will cater any size gig...¨
But before you run off to the local guitar super-center to snatch up one of these prized thunder boxes, we should mention they were discontinued more than a decade ago.
- Handcrafted in Petaluma, California
- 50 Watts, Class A/B Power / 2x6L6, 4x12AX7
- Fixed Bias for Consistent, Maintenance Free Performance
- 2 Fully Independent Channels, 3 Footswitchable Sounds (Channel 1, 2 & 2 w/Contour)
- Independent Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, Reverb & Master Controls per Channel
- Pull Bright (Channel 1) Contour Switch (Channel 2)
- Long Tank Spring Reverb
- Parallel FX Loop w/Mix Control
- Record / Headphone Output
- Silent Record Mute Switch
- 3 Button Footswitch (Channel 1/2, Reverb & Contour)
Listen to Iron Mike play the Mesa Boogie F-50 on the track below.